Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tom Tikolo's Resignation

Following the recent attacks on my character in the press (read Standard Newspapers), I have as on 20th December, 09 offered to resign as the Chief Executive Officer of Cricket Kenya in an effort not to be seen as an impediment to the general development of the game in the country.

Even as I take this decision to resign, I want to deny any wrong doing in all the dealings mentioned in those allegations. At the same time and for clarity purposes, I want to state that none of CK Board members as constituted have had any dealings whatsoever in the said allegations.

Building CK from scratch to where it is now has been a long, challenging, but extremely satisfying journey. Where we are now, I believe, is right on course. We have cleared all the debts with players, have contracts with the national team, and have built systems to move the game forward. Indeed, the foundation that we have laid is solid. We now have vibrant Provincial Bodies, we have a full time Development Department (with a reach of over 50 schools), we have a full time technical team management, we have fully contracted national team players, fully operational office, growth of Women’s’ cricket (that we now have U15, U19 and Open Age National Teams), Elite National Leagues and age group teams. We have become the hub of East African cricket and ACA has continually looked at CK to host various tournaments.

I am convinced that Kenyan cricket is standing on sound ground. It is my prayer that corporate and well wishers will see the tremendous potential the game has to change lives in this country – and start sponsoring – especially cricket development around the country. That is currently the missing link between our feeders into the national team, and is the limiting factor towards Kenya regaining her position in world class cricket.

When I took office in 2005, I came in with one goal: to bring back confidence in the game – especially in its administration. Cricket brought me to what I am – and I am proud of my record – as a player, Captain, EA Development Manager and finally as the CEO of CK. I would not want this record to be tarnished. Therefore, when my personal mail is hacked into for the purpose of casting aspersions on my integrity, the honorable option for me is to step aside.

I wish all true believers in Kenya’s cricket well. I want to reiterate that the foundation we have laid is right. I look forward to seeing the standards of the game rising to greater heights soon. And that is my prayer.

I must note here that I am an ardent reader of books authored by Robin Sharma and one of his books that I hold very dear is “Who will cry when you die”. For those boys, girls, ladies, gentlemen, men and women that I have inspired and encouraged in this noble game of cricket, I urge you not to cry as I am not dead. But for those faceless enemies that are out to tarnish my reputation, do not rejoice as there is no grave that you will dance around on and collect soil for your traditional rituals.

Finally, I wish to thank the board of CK (which has as members, people of good standing in our society) for the excellent support they have provided, staff for untiring support amidst great challenges, the provincial bodies, media, well wishers, my dear wife and our children and all those who have given me the impetus to give my all: may God bless you all.

Tom J. Tikolo

No comments: