Sunday, March 05, 2006

kenyacricket.com Awards


Taking the long-term view that when my web page www.kenyacricket.com (official, or unofficial) is up and running, it will be a success, I am setting up an awards system for the best Kenyan players of the year. I will run one competition for ODIs and one for the Intercontinental Cup. Combining the two will give the Cricketer of the Year.
.
At the moment, the prizes will simply be recognition of the player's efforts, but I will be looking for a sponsor for this, so hopefully they can be presented with something more.

I am going to allocate Primary points for each match as follows:

3 pts for best performance, 2 for the next best, and 1 to any other player that, in my opinion, has had a positive impact. Mostly, I will try to restrict the total points from me to 6 unless there are a couple of players who I feel really deserve a mention.

If a Kenyan player wins the official Man of the Match, he will get an extra 2 points.

I will run a poll on the site for each match, and allocate 6 points, based on a percentage of votes, with a maximum of 3 per player. For the current series, this is one poll over the tour, but from Bangladesh onwards, will be one poll per game.

It could end there, and remain unofficial. I have however invited Cricket Kenya to allocate points per match on the same basis that I do.

I will also be contacting the following newspapers to see if they are interested: Nation, Standard, Kenya Times, Coastweek (if you have any other suggestions on media that cover kenyan cricket, let me know). If they are agreeable, their combined votes will contribute to a separate primary score (3,2,1).

The primary votes (kenyacricket.com, Man of the Match, Public, Cricket Kenya? Media?) will then be tallied and a final, Secondary score given for each match based on the total of Primary votes:

3 pts for highest numer of Primary pts.
2 pts for the next highest.
1 point for the third highest.
In the event of a tie, both players will recieve equal points.
An official 'Man of the series' earns a bonus Secondary point.

At the end of the year, the player with the highest Secondary Total wins that category.
The Kenyan Cricketer of the year would be a total from both competitions.

I would also like to have a 'Domestic Cricketer' of the year, but this can only happen if the NPCA and CCA will communicate with me.

Once kenyacricket.com is up and running, I will keep a running tally, so that everything is shown to be transparent and above board.

I have based this on the system the Australians use for the Allan Border Medal - one of the goals every Australian cricketer aspires to achieve. I have not decided on a name (it may depend on sponsorship), and am open to suggestions on this as well.
If you think this is a good idea, please back the players, and vote. Cheers.

No comments: