Saturday, March 25, 2006

Nation Article Worth Reading.

Regular visitors to the site will know my feelings on the deposed Kenya Cricket Association, and their 'running' of cricket in Kenya. For those who would like to see the other side of the coin, there is a very interesting article in today's Nation entitled How Kenyan Cricket can return to the Glory days written by Sulubu Tuva. I have linked to the sports page, as you need to have registered to actually read the article, but it is worthwhile doing so. There are some good points made, but I can't agree with the portrayal of Ghai as a hero figure at all. Here is my reply, which I also emailed to the author. I would welcome your thoughts, and if I get a reply from the Nation, I will post on that as well:

An interesting article, especially since you paint Ghai as the hero of Kenyan Cricket. I wonder why no mention was made of the mismanagement in the last few years of his tenure. The reason Kenya is not winning in Bangladesh is twofold. One: we have hardly played any international cricket since the World Cup. Two: the KCA failed in its commitment to bringing through the youth players.
Yes it was greed that brought down Kenyan cricket, but I think you need to take a closer look at who the greedy parties were, and ask Ghai why sponsors deserted what could have been Kenya's leading team sport. We had a great platform to build on after the success of 2003. Blame for failing to build on that should lie squarely on the shoulders of those running cricket at the time. Cricket Kenya have achieved more in the last three months that the KCA did in their last three years. I don't think we should look to the people who nearly brought Kenyan cricket to its knees as an example of how to take the game forward.
Progress lies in building the grassroots support of the game - both the player base and supporter base, and in playing more international matches. So far, a lot of work has been done, but there is still a long way to go. It will take time for Kenya to make up the ground it lost, but I believe we will do it. Cricket Kenya should be commended for their efforts so far, and the media would serve cricket and Kenya better by encouraging people to support the game rather than dwelling in what might have been. Previews of the two matches against Holland, and reports on the domestic game would be a really good place to start.
If you really want to help the game, encourage people to watch it and play it. I have never seen a country with so much latent talent. How great a feeling will it be to look back in ten years when Kenya are winning Test matches and say 'I played my part in making this happen.'? You write very well and have the forum for people to listen. I urge you to use these gifts and help take the game forward. I look forward to reading more of your writing, and would be keen to correspond on any matters cricket...
Watch this space.

No comments: