Thursday, April 13, 2006

Vale Shekhar Mehta: RIP

Sad news for any Kenyan sports fan - Shekhar Meta passed away in a London Hospital yesterday. Meta won the Safari Rally 5 times during the 70s and 80s and was one of the heroes for my generation. When I was running round the garden as a kid irritating the neighbours by blowing rasperries and doing my best to sound like a rally car, it was always him that I imagined myself to be. I know that I wasn't the only one with that thought. He was a great sportsman, and worked tirelessly for Kenyan Rallying after he stopped competing. I don't think Kenya has a hall of fame for its sportsmen as yet, but his name will certainly be in there when we do. Thoughts go to his wife and family. Rest In Peace Shekhar Meta.

2 comments:

Kabinti said...

I also remember as kids trying to outdo each other when it came to imitating "Safo". Peeps fought over who would be Mehta and who would be Patrick Njiru. RIP SM.

Anonymous said...

Shekhar has been a household name in Kenya when it came to Safari Rally - and we all remeber when he took off from the ramp at KICC that the crowd would cheer with wild to cheer him....Unfortunately we lost a legend - our heartiest condolences to his family - we will surely miss another racing hero - Dharmesh (Melbourne).